Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Meatloaf Atonement

My family has never been served meatloaf because I forebade it.  When my wife's birthday came around this year the long-standing joke of making meatloaf came up.  I offered to cook anything she would like for her birthday dinner.

My wife's fond childhood memories of meatloaf on the dinner table are in direct contrast to my childhood experiences with the baked beef dish.  My frustrated mother ordered her picky son to, "put that bite of food in your mouth and go to bed!" after I sat for about three hours refusing to eat my dinner.  

I tucked that meatloaf between my cheek and gums, put on my pajamas and went to bed.  The next morning, it was still there.  (The horror - the horror)

Having learned a thing or two about cooking all these years later, I figured it was time to end the deprivation.  I needed to design a meatloaf recipe that would conjure the happy memories of her youth, while making something palatable enough to erase my past indiscretion.  

I am happy to announce this recipe will be served at our table again.  The kitchen laboratory at Chicks Dig Central was all smiles!  The dish was juicy and flavorful.  This was based on a recipe for mini cheeseburgers from the Morton's Steak Bible (http://www.amazon.com/Mortons-Steak-Bible-Legendary-Steakhouse/dp/1400097940)  .
photo from Morton's website http://www.mortons.com/menu/barbites/

I give you:  The Meatloaf Atonement...

1 1/4 lb ground sirloin
1/2 lb ground pork
1/2 med onion, diced
4-5 white mushrooms, sliced
1 tbs minced garlic
2 eggs
6 tbs tomato juice
1/4 cup each: grated parmesan, panko bread crumbs
1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp fresh pepper

Heat oven to 375 degrees, and saute onion, garlic, mushrooms 5 - 6 minutes, let cool.
Add onion mixture and all other ingredients to large bowl and gently mix using your hands.
Place in loaf pan and bake 45 minutes.
Pour off fat and let sit for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.

Serve with a juicy shiraz.  Then put on your pajamas and go to bed, you good boy!

No comments: