Sunday, August 18, 2013

Quinoa pretzels

She-Who-Digs-Me found an awesome deal on pretzels.  One pound bag for a buck!  Ha!  She is always finding good deals on stuff...  But bag of pretzels???  Yummy, crispy, fat-free snacks!  WooHoo!



Now I'm thinking, "Don't want to be a Nutri-Nazi here, but that's a bunch of carbs... and I know me"

I'm not into sweets and stuff.  Never really was.  People say that's so lucky!!!  Nah... Just don't care for the taste.  Not sure why.  Just not my thing.  But give me a bag of chips and LOOK OUT!

So here's this nice bag of pretzels - I remember doing my "Better Bread" thing (page 120 of the cookbook for those of you keeping track...) and putting yummy stuff on a loaf of bread to bake.  Realizing I have this 7-Seed mix in the pantry, naturally thoughts turned to put that on pretzel - cuz it's kind of like bread - only tiny bite-sized loaves with salt.

I grabbed the 7-Seed mix and saw the ingredients include QUINOA!  Quinoa (pronounced "keen-wha") is a ridiculously yummy, healthy grain.  All the rage...blahblahblah.  Click here to read all the health benefits of quinoa.  Pretty awesome!


Then I'm thinking, "Whaaaaa?  Healthy grain on a yummy snack?  Count me in."

Sooooo.... I baked my pretzels with a garlic, quinoa, sesame seed coating - and - it - is - GREAT!



Here's how...

I used half the bag of pretzels... (4cups of pretzels, okay?)
4 Tbs melted butter
1tsp quinoa
1tsp sesame seeds
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1/2 tsp dried dill weed

Combine all except the pretzels and mix well.  Add the pretzels and stir to coat well.  Bake at 325 degrees for 15 minutes - stirring every 5 minutes or so.

Snack healthier!  I'm going to try this on popcorn soon...

No comments: