Monday, November 12, 2012

Mark Zuckerberg, You're Fired

I have realized that I spend a great deal of time just reading about other people's lives.  Not that other people are not funny or interesting.  It's the time.  I could spend hours clicking and reading.  Following threads and posts.  At the end of all that, what do I have?  Knowledge?  Not much.  Clarity?  Very little.  So I'm done.  No more Facebook.

This is just like when I was a kid and quit television cold turkey.  The realization hit me like a ton of bricks.  All that time wasted.  The hours ticked by and there I sat doing nothing.  I was all of twelve years old.

Turning on the TV after school was always the same: Gilligan's Island, Bewitched, Hogan's Heroes, Dick Van Dyke Show, and others.  Hours of sitting around with eyes glued to the set.  Day after day - every day. At least three hours of fake television laugh tracks even before dinner time.  Prime time television was even more time spent barely blinking.

Four to five hours per weekday totaled twenty to twenty-five hours.  BOOM!  That's one whole damn day! I was giving up an entire day of my week, every week.  In the years between age 7 to age 12, I had lost one whole year of my life sitting in front of the TV doing nothing.  (Yeah, I actually thought logically about stuff as a kid - some things never change.)

Giving up TV was weirdly liberating.  Now I am hoping for that same lift by giving up Facebook.

I still love writing and I'd like to continue my blog.  If you'd like to keep reading it, feel free.  You may find it easier to click the follower tab at the bottom of the page.  Or click the RSS feed.  Posts will be delivered to you.  Click on the comment below and share stuff if you'd like.  But if you've linked to the blog via Facebook in the past I won't be there.  The blog is not my problem - Facebook is my problem.  Not interested.

You may decide you are done reading blog posts that are wasting your time - that's cool.  Have fun - live life.

Until we eat again,
Doug

No comments: